Sunday 8 November 2009

Food, glorious food!

Wowsers! This month has been an amazing time for food...

My birthday treats has spilled over from October. My cool friend Laura took me out for a nice dinner at MUST wine bar, which I'd heard much about and always wanted to try. Even though it was a wednesday night, the place was packed. We were sitting at arms length to the next table, so it was quite noisy. The food was nice though. I had a rabbit ragu served with potato gnocchi. For desert I had an interesting ice cream made with figs and olive oil. It was certainly different. Thanks Laura!!

A week later, we went for a cooking class in Lederville run by Nico Moretti. It's really more a cooking demostration than a cooking class. It basically consists of a class of 10 people seated around his kitchen counter-top while he cooked. Then we got to eat what he cooked. What surprised me was that these were FULL meals (and a glass of wine if you wanted it), not just a taste here and there as I expected. Restaurant quality food cooked fresh before our eyes, and the recipe to take home! I was really stuffed by the end of it. We both thoroughly enjoyed it and will probably go again.

The next night, I had a group of friends over for pot luck. Since I'm leaving for New Zealand at the end of the month, I thought I'd get some of my friends together as I won't see them again till after Christmas or until 2010!!
I recreated what I learnt the night before at the cooking class which was, proscuito and rosemary rack of lamb, served with a pumpkin and spicy chorizo tart. For desert, a spanish frozen orange torte. It all turned out reasonably well, and my friends enjoyed it, so I'm quite proud of myself.

My lamb was good, but my friend Tuan's crispy skin roast pork was divine....my god, it's the best thing I've tasted and I've tasted some pretty good things lately. Happily, we were too full to finish the pork so I got to keep the leftovers. You know how the crispy skin of roast pork usually go rubbery the next day? Well this one didn't, despite sitting in the fridge overnight. Amazing!! Tuan, you are a THE master. I'm sneaking pieces of crunchy pork everytime I go past the fridge.

This morning, we drove to Kalamunda to check out Tuan and Hoa's new cafe, CREMA. They do a nice breakfast & lunch, and the coffee's good. The pastries are good too. I know this because Tuan is at work at 3.30am making them fresh. I'll never complain about my "early" 8am starts again!

Tonight, my sister treated me to dinner at Lamont's in east perth, overlooking Claisebrook cove. I love this area. Everytime I go there, I always think, this would be such a cool place to live. Lamont's was very quiet when we got there, which was such a nice change to all the noisy places I'd been to recently. I had poached marron and mini gnocchi cooked in butter, and white chocolate cheesecake with baby pears in ginger sauce for desert. Yum!

I wonder how many calories I've stacked on this week?


3 comments:

kimtojin said...

Wow...they way you have written this, you could have been working as a food critic instead of pharmacist :) Luckily you, we had instant noodle on Sat!

WAYNE SEOW said...

I would love to be a food critic. Actually, my dream job would be a travel writer/food critic/photographer. But NO, I had to be a stupid pharmacists!!

kimtojin said...

Did I mention I am a stupid pharmacist as well?!